Monday, April 6, 2015

Confession: I Don't Have a Joint Bank Account with My Husband


This may strike a chord with a few of you who are very traditional, but Dave and I have separate banks accounts. The money that we earn is ours to spend as we choose.  I understand that the choice Dave and I made to not share our money with each other seems selfish, but in reality it's something we both agree works best for us. That may not be the case for everyone else. If only one of us brought in an income, then it wouldn't make sense for us to not have a shared account. 

It all started when I was 18, before Dave and I even began to date. I read an article that stated that the main source of all fighting between couples was money. I decided at that moment that if I removed the source of the problem, I'd never fight with my significant other. When Dave and I began to date, we kept our single accounts even as our relationship progressed. For the record, Dave and I have never fought about money. 

Another reason why we don't have a joint account is that we are both terrible budget-ers. When I get paid I separate my money out into what needs to be paid, and set aside money for gas and food. Any money left in my checking is my money to do with what I please. I never have to worry about whether or not me taking $10 from my account is going to mess Dave up. 

Just to be clear, this isn't fully what is my money is mine and what is yours is yours and your on your own. If either of us need anything, the other one always is willing to help, and we share bills all the same. When bills need to be paid, Dave transfers his half to my account and I pay the bills. And if one of us is down, the other one picks up the slack. 

I know this way of financial living doesn't work best for everyone, but for Dave and I it works out perfectly. Anyone else out there married with a single account?