Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Be in the Moment

Before I got sick last week, I was having a rough day. I had about an hour and a half to spare before I had to go to work. I was far enough away from home that driving home and hanging out wasn't going to happen so I decided to drive around and "get lost". 

 
As I was driving I found myself focusing more about things that happened in the past that bothered me, or things that I needed to get done. Past and future, that's what kept flip flopping around in my mind. I noticed that by doing this, not only was I stressing myself out more, but I really wasn't enjoying my drive. 


I took major issue with this. It was a beautiful day and I never get to just drive around with no intended end point, and I was wasting it by being upset about things that I couldn't change or worrying about things that I couldn't control. I started thinking about all the times I was in a great moment and I didn't get to appreciate that moment because I was thinking about past and future. 


So I decided to start thinking "be in the moment" and when I found my thoughts wandering to other things other than what was going right then and there, I would think "be in the moment" again. Eventually I ended up here:


It was like I was being rewarded for enjoying that free time a little bit more, and it felt so good. And a bad day ended up being a great day. 




Had any recent epiphanies lately?