Monday, March 30, 2015

Cooking Challenge March Results

This month was the month of meal prep. I've always wanted to spend a day creating meals for breakfast or lunch for the week, in part so that I didn't have to spend all my money on breakfast and lunch, but also to be able to control what I eat a little better. 

Pins I Tried: 

Low Carb Egg Muffins



Not only were these "muffins" delicious, but they were fairly healthy AND I got to use my muffin tin for the first time. This was definitely something I'll make again, they were super easy. 

Breakfast Burritos

I have a confession. When done right, I love (LOVE) McDonald's breakfast burritos. I have been wanting to make my own for a while and finally got around to it this month. Not only was it fairly easy to make, but I made a ton in a very short time. Dave loves grabbing these in the morning and has even forgotten to take out our dinner for the night (practically every morning) because he sees these and forgets to. These aren't as good as McDonald's burritos (when they're done right), but at least I know I'm getting a good burrito every time. 

Chicken BLT Avocado Salad

This recipe is another favorite of Dave's. I originally made it for myself and then he tried some and practically half of it was gone when it went to make my lunch the next morning. Between this recipe and the muffins I also got more practice with cooking bacon, which I rarely do. 

Recipes ripped out of magazines I finally made:

Bobby Dean's One Pan Roasted Chicken and Broccoli



Healthy, easy and I finally got to use my roasting pan (another thing I've never used before), and it was delicious.  I'm really liking this cooking challenge. 

So far I've learned quite a few techniques but I've also learned that I have too many items in my kitchen that I've never used. I'm glad I'm finally getting around to using them. Maybe I'll start incorporating the use of unused kitchen items into my challenge?