Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The One That Got Away

We all have that long lost love in our life. The one that got away. My heart aches everyday for my lost love: my first car. 


I started working at my family's gas station when I was 13 or 14. I saved all my money because really what can a 13 or 14 year old spend their entire paychecks on, right? When I was 15 I was heading home with my mom when I saw it: my perfect car. The car I'd been dreaming of since I knew what cars were. It was a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo manual with a car phone (yes that matters, it's all about status!). 

I always knew I when I started driving I wanted to learn stick shift right away. I also knew that I wanted my first car to be an SUV of some type, I've never been a sedan kind of girl. So when I saw this car and it met every expectation I wanted in a car, I knew I had to buy it. I was only 15 at the time so the Jeep would have to sit in my driveway for at least another year (it ended up being a year and a half, I was slow to get my license), but I didn't care, I didn't want to pass up this chance. So I drained my savings from working those two years and paid $1600 for the Jeep plus the $20 bucks or so for the Rainbow Brite wheel cover. 

My Jeep ended up being everything I've ever wanted in a car. Unfortunately about a year into my driving it consistently the clutch and calipers went on the Jeep. It was going to cost me about $1000 to fix it and it was $1000 I just didn't have at the time. 

It's one of the few times in my life that I would go back and change things. I would have found a way to keep that car, because I miss it every day. 

And that's the story of the one who got away, excuse me while I go pine away and stare at the picture above.