Monday, February 2, 2015

Let's Talk Books

I'm a stickler when it comes to my books, which is evidenced here. I know everyone treats books differently but I'm curious on what your take is on certain things that I do when it comes to books.  



Like, I can't write in books. Even school books or books given to other people. 

There was only one exception to this rule and that was my literature book and that was because my professor pretty much insisted upon it. Even when I give books to friends or as part of a baby shower gift, I have to write my little note on an index card to them and then paperclip it to the front page. I just can't bring myself to write in a book. 

I was listening to a podcast the other day and one of the people on the show talked about how they write notes in the margins of the novel to notate things. I was kinda horrified. 



Or, when I read a hard cover book I have to take off the paper cover. 

I can't stand it sliding all around while I read it so I always take the cover off and store it until I finish the book and then replace it. 



How about re-reading books? I don't do it unless I have to

I've only ever re-read two books, the first was for the teen book club I run. I read the book in question about 7 years before I decided the club was going to read it and wanted to brush up on it again. The second was a book that is coming out with a sequel this summer and I wanted to reacquaint myself with the story. Otherwise one and done. Although, I'm not closed to the idea of catching back up with Harry Potter.....


Lastly, it took me a long time to do this, but I don't finish books I don't enjoy. 

I used to think I had to finish a book. The problem with that is that I would hate reading the book so much I'd stop reading all together. That's not cool. Now if I find myself avoiding picking up the book because I dread reading it, I just stop reading it. Nothing is worth me not reading. 

So what are your thoughts on all these things?