Monday, February 23, 2015

Cooking Challenge February Results

If you need a quick refresher, I challenged myself this year to expand my cooking horizons and each month use pins/recipes I've gathered along the way and also try out different cooking techniques that I've avoided so far in my life. Here's the results for this month:

Pins I tried:


Meatball Sub Bubble Up Bake

This recipe was okay. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I probably won't make it again, but it was very simple to make. My main issue with this dish was that the biscuits were too sweet and that kind of ruined it for me. Also the middle wasn't cooked all the way through which I could easily fix by leaving it in longer but it was very tough to gauge whether or not the middle was done. 


One Pan Skillet Lasagna

This pin on the other hand was delicious. I learned the hard way that it was probably easier to just cut the casing off of Italian sausage and cook it that way versus the way I did it which was cooking the sausage in the casing and then trying to cut it up after the fact and throwing it back in the pan. I always like to make things harder for myself. 

Lastly, for Valentines Day I decided to try my hand at cheesecake. I used this recipe from Philadelphia cream cheese.

Cooking technique tackled: Using my springform pan (I've owned it for at least 8 years and this was the first time I used it!), baking a cake/crust from "scratch"

The results: When I was first making the graham cracker crust, I misread the ingredient list and thought it read 1 and 1/3 cup melted butter which lead to a ridiculous melted butter mess. Three packs of graham crackers later, I realized the error of my ways and sent Dave out to buy more graham crackers since I used them all up trying to salvage this mess:


The good news is that when I attempted the crust a second time, it turned out good. There weren't any other issues and the cheesecake turned out delicious!

What did you cook this month?