Monday, April 8, 2013

Afternoon Tea

My English professor set up an afternoon tea for students in my Romantic Literature class this past Saturday. I've never been to  any type of tea event before so I was really excited to experience it. When we arrived we were greeted by a small tier of plates filled with finger foods from scones to mini sandwiches to fruit tarts, chocolate covered strawberries and creme puffs.


The waiter (I guess that is what you call him) brought out mini tea pots for each of us with hot water in them and we chose our tea from a box set off to the side. I decided to play it safe and stuck with Earl Grey tea but I did throw some creme into it, which was really good. Our gathering took place in a small library of a historic mansion owned by Villanova University, Montrose Mansion. The atmosphere was relaxing and it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

I was a bit nervous at first, I was unsure of the proper way to brew and drink the tea, or eat the finger foods, and the pressure was on to not look like a total neanderthal, especially in front of my professor. Eventually I just relaxed. We enjoyed a good talk and some great food. The fruit tart was amazing, it consisted of a small dessert shell filled with a vanilla creme, almost like pudding and then topped with a slice of kiwi, strawberry and orange. The little sandwiches weren't my cup of tea (haha, see what I did there?) but they weren't terrible.

 Afternoon tea was definitely an enjoyable experience, and with the right company, a great way to spend the afternoon.



To the left of me is the lady of the house, Mrs. John Barnes Townsend.


Oh and the icing on the cake? Two geese chilling on top of a stone column on our way out, honking at us, but in a friendly way. It was most definitely a sight to see.