Monday, April 15, 2013

Corn Pudding


Growing up, my mom was an amazing cook. She still is but unfortunately she is a bit stunted now by my stepfather's extremely picky palate (seriously Dad, there is more to life out there than chicken wings and canned corn, love you!). One of my favorite recipes that she made during the holidays was corn pudding and it was one of the first ones that I asked for when I moved into my own place.

Dave loves it too, in fact, I just asked him how he would describe it and his response was "awesome". Not very helpful but it gives you an idea how good this stuff is. I am pretty sure it was one of the determining factors in his choice to make me his wife.

So how would I describe corn pudding? It's name is a bit misleading. It's not "pudding" in the sense of your typical Jell-o pudding, it has a thicker consistency than just regular creamed corn. I guess the best way to describe it would be like corn casserole.  Either way you need to make this, it's amazing.

Here is what you need:

-1 can of creamed corn
-1 can of regular corn
-1 egg, beaten
-1/4 cup sugar
-3/4 cup milk
-1 heaping Tbs cornstarch
-1 Tbs butter

And here is what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Drain your regular corn and add both cans of corn to a baking dish

2. Add sugar and egg, mix everything together

3. Add milk and cornstarch, mix. As a side note, I would recommend sifting your cornstarch when you add it, if you just toss the heaping tablespoon into the dish you'll be mixing the clumps out for a while, whereas if you sift, there is less clumps to get rid of. I just use this little doodad and scrape the cornstarch through the holes with a spoon:


4. Cut up your butter into small pieces and toss it in the bowl, mix everything up again. This is what it should look like at this point:

5. Bake at 425 for at least a half hour or until it is golden brown on top. Depending on your oven it may take up to 45 minutes to get golden brown. The good test for me is to jiggle the dish at the end of the half hour and see how wiggly it is. You want it to be fairly firm with only a little jiggle, for me this is about 40 minutes, but I would start checking it at the half hour mark. 

Thanks for the great dish, Ma!