Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Jim Thorpe, PA

If you read Monday's post, you know that I spent a few days over the 4th of July on a mini-vacation with Dave. We arrived at the Inn at Jim Thorpe on Wednesday night, and they greeted us with a mystery welcome bag:






When I opened the bag, it was two chocolate chip cookies. Delicious, fresh baked, crispy on the outer parts, chewy on the inside, heaven on Earth chocolate chip cookies. They were so good. 

After settling in, and getting dressed Dave and I decided to walk around town and try to find a place to eat. Jim Thorpe is a very tiny town, like two streets wide, maybe five blocks long? Along our walk, we discovered that every store, and I mean every store was closed on Wednesdays with the exception of the restaurant that is connected to the inn. When I say small town, I meant it. Here are a few pictures of our walk before dinner:



Pretty kitty just chilling in a window of someone's house. Made me miss my babies so much!

Of course I had to take a picture of the local library

Dave and I joked that this was the "Up" house
So after a relaxing dinner, we headed upstairs and prepped ourselves for the big hike up the waterfalls for the next day. You can read about it here.  Prior to the hike, we had breakfast, toured the hotel and took obligatory touristy vacation photo. The Inn had a gorgeous balcony with rocking chairs and a great view: 





When we got back from the falls, we walked the town and everything was opened this time.  Dave got some beef jerky and I found a used book store that not only had cheap books in great condition, it also had a house cat, Zoe. Of course, I totally gave Zoe some love, and then I hunted for books and depleted the shop of all of their Christopher Moore books (he had most of the ones I still needed!). I walked out of the shop with five books, then found another one on the way out and went back and bought that one too. All in all, I got six books for less than $25. I'd say that's a good haul. 

Then it was dinner, and after that we went back to the restaurant we had our Wednesday night meal at and ordered dessert. Dave really liked the red velvet cake I had ordered the night before so he got that and I ordered the chocolate torte. Then I heard they had strawberry shortcake as a special dessert. I tried to change my order but they were bringing out our desserts by that point. So what did I do? I ordered a third dessert and Dave and I chowed down on all three together.  It was a total guilty pleasure. It felt so devilish but we were on vacation and decided to spoil ourselves and it tasted so good, and felt so liberating. 

Friday was our day to head home. It was a great time, but I was definitely happy to be heading back home to Nibbler and Squishee, I totally missed my cuddle bugs. 

And with that, I've begun to check items off my summer list. Did you make a list? How far along are you?