Monday, January 27, 2014

14 in '14 Update

As some of you may remember, at the end of December, I set a goal to read 14 specific books in 2014. I plan to read more than just those 14, but I highlighted those books as ones that I wanted to make it a point to read  during this year. 

Without further ado, here are the ones I've read so far...


The Graveyard Book

Ironically enough, I finished this book before 2014 even started. I began reading the book on the 28th of December and just blew through it so that it was done by the 30th. I really enjoyed it and I think I'm becoming a fan of Neil Gaiman. So far, I've read this and The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I've loved both books.

The Husband's Secret

This book was excellent. I normally do not like adult fiction and prefer young adult; however I could not put this book down. I loved how the author interwove three different women's stories into one and wrapped everything up at the end. It was a satisfying read. 




I listened to this book on CD instead of reading it because I love listening to audio books on my commute to work, and because reviews said it was better to listen to Libba Bray read her own book. There were parts where I hated this book and almost shut the CD off and then there were times where I loved it and thought it was a great listen. I gave it three out of five stars on Goodreads. I probably wouldn't recommend it to many people, but I also wouldn't tell people to not read it either. 


The Girl Who Circumnativgated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

This book...it was kind of a disappointment. I think I was so excited about the premise of the book that I went into it with high expectations. It won awards, and even Neil Gaiman sang its praises. I put this book down so many times throughout the month, I finished three other books between starting and finishing this one. The ending of the book really got me into the story (sadly, a little too late) and made me wish that it wasn't ending, which was surprising considering I was literally counting the pages left in the book that I had left to read. I would recommend this book to people who like books like Harry Potter, but I would definitely add a disclaimer that it may not be as great as it appears. 

Want to be friends on Goodreads? Check out my profile here and add me as a friend. I'm always looking for people who also enjoy reading so I can find new books!

Facebook Bloglovin Instagram Pinterest Image Map