Monday, June 30, 2014

14 in '14 June Update

You guys know the deal by now, right? 

The Dust of 100 Dogs

This was a good read, however one of the biggest hangups I had about it was that it's labelled as a YA book and in my opinion it was way more mature to be considered Young Adult...all the violence, sex, and language was not something I would think would be allowed in a YA book. With that being said, it was a good read. The story follows Emer, a woman who is a pirate in the 1600s, and Saffron, the "reincarnation" of Emer after she is cursed to live the life of 100 dogs. I enjoyed the book, but the content is definitely not for everyone.



Assassination Vacation

You may remember that I read Sarah Vowell's Partly Cloudy Patriot in March and was not a fan at all. I really dreaded reading this book because Patriot wasn't my cup of tea. I'm happy to report that I enjoyed this book much more than I did her other one and actually learned a few things about some of our presidents. Vowell has a great way of writing that mixes humor with history and I think that's a great way to learn. I did find a few parts boring but for the most part Assassination Vacation was a good read. 


Here is the list so far:

1. Where'd you go Bernadette?
2. Sacre Bleu
3. Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me?
4. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
5. The Partly Cloudy Patriot
6. Assassination Vacation
7. The Alchemyst
8. The Graveyard Book
9. The Maze Runner
10. The Husband's Secret
11. Beauty Queens
12. The Dust of 100 Dogs
13. The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making
14. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books


What are some books you read this month? Did you like them?

I'm on Goodreads, if you'd lik
e to add me.