Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chicken Lettuce Wraps



This is a really easy meal to make, and while probably not the healthiest, eating it in lettuce makes you feel like maybe you might actually be eating well, or at least getting one or two servings of vegetables in! 

I found this recipe years ago when I became obsessed with Houlihan's lettuce wrap appetizers and wanted to recreate it at home. A few notes about the onion: it calls for 1 cup of onion, which personally drives me bonkers. Does anyone honestly chop an onion and then measure it out with a cup (timidly raising hand...I used to do that)? Well, I decided to take a stand against measured onions and just chop a small onion and leave it at that. So you can do that too. Secondly, there was a time when I never kept "real" onion in my house because I rarely ever cooked homemade meals, which means that I used the dried onion that you can find in the spice aisle at the grocery store. This did not change the taste of the meal at all, so you could totally use the dried stuff and get the same results. 

Here is what you need:



Ingredients:

-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
-1 cup finely chopped onion (honestly I just use one small onion and I don't think that makes a full cup)
-1 lb ground chicken
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1/4 tsp garlic salt
-1 12 oz bag broccoli slaw
-1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 head lettuce 
-rice noodles (optional)

Here's what you need to do:

1. Place oil into large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften.

2. Add salt, pepper, garlic salt, and chicken. Cook until browned, crumbled and cooked through.

3. When meat is cooked, stir in broccoli slaw, teriyaki sauce, and sesame oil. Cook until heated through.

4. While meat mixture is cooking, wash lettuce and break apart to form "bowls".

5. Serve spoonfuls of chicken mixture inside lettuce leaves with noodles (optional) on top. 

Enjoy!