Thursday, March 27, 2014

Divergent

If you remember, in January, I participated in Bon's Book Club for The Husband's Secret. I was excited that she chose Divergent for March's book because I always wanted to read it and this would be the perfect excuse to stop putting it off and just do it. 



+ Who is your favorite character in the novel and why?

I feel like this is really "teenage girl" of me, but I loved Four. He was mysterious but you could tell underneath all that secrecy was a good guy. I liked that Tris had someone she could trust no matter what when everything kept happening.

+ Did you like Tris as the main character?  Why or why not?  Do you see her as a strong female lead?

I did like Tris, and I thought she was a strong lead for the book. I really enjoyed how she struggled to find her place in her faction while remaining true to her feelings. I liked how she managed to "recover" from situations that would have left me curled up in a ball and just move on, it definitely made her suited for Dauntless. As I was reading the book, I just kept thinking to myself "I would have died by now" or "my anxiety would have left me useless". 

+ What did you think of the ending of the book?  Was it satisfactory to you?

*Spoilers*

I really was bummed out when she started picking off characters. I get that in real life if all this really happened that most likely a bunch of people that you loved and cared about would die but this is fiction. What I mean by that is that the author really could have expanded some characters, namely Tris' mom. She's so mysterious and right when we find out she originally belonged to Dauntless but switched because she was Divergent, she dies. It would have been so cool to be able to read a back story on the mom or have her survive and help Tris navigate all this craziness.

With that being said, I have to say the ending was satisfactory because it left me wanting more and I ended up buying the other two books. 

+ How do you feel about Tris and Four's relationship?  Could you tell that Four liked her before Tris figured it out?

I almost feel like I should respond to this question with just "duh!" I could absolutely tell that Four liked Tris and it was really frustrating for me when Tris would just automatically assume the worse. It's like no sweetie, those are the actions of a guy who likes you, how can you be so blind? 

I enjoyed reading about their relationship, it was a nice "human" aspect to a story that otherwise made it seem like all humanity was lost. 

+ Anything else you want to say, add, admit, confess?  Now's your time to shine!
I don't know about anyone else, but this book made me aggressive, like to the point that my husband told me I might want to stop reading it. For example, we were on the bypass and in the right hand lane, Dave switched to the left hand lane to allow people coming onto the bypass to merge and I told him "why would you get over? It's survival of the fittest!" He looked at me like I had lost my mind. Mind you, normally I'm yelling at him to get over to let people merge....I swear I'm not a mean person. 

My favorite scene in the book was the Ferris wheel scene. Not only was it smart of Tris to do, but the way Veronica Roth wrote it really helped to create a neat picture in my head. 


Have you read Divergent? What are your thoughts?