Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How Pinterest Made Me Miserable

I used to pin on Pinterest like crazy. Like come home and spend all night and have 80 ga-jillion tabs up to the point where my computer was warning me about high memory usage crazy. 

Then one day I had to force myself to stop. 

Pinterest was making me miserable. Depressed, unappreciative of what I had miserable. Why, you ask? It was what I was pinning, specifically of house things. I pinned decadent kitchens and gorgeous, massive laundry rooms. 


Source
I pinned rooms with high ceilings and large mirrors, closets bigger than the entire upstairs of my house. 


Source
Source
I pinned open expansive staircases, leading to even more open and expansive rooms. 


Source
Source

I pinned man caves, movie theater rooms, and massive, yet creatively designed basements. 


Source


And it all made me sad because I didn't have the room or the house for all these gorgeous pins, and quite frankly I don't think Dave and I will ever make enough money to live in extravagant houses with thunderstorm rooms. I ended up despising my house. I felt like it wasn't good enough. 


Source

Life was no longer good enough, I needed more. I didn't appreciate the nice little home I have, because it wasn't pin-worthy. So I stopped pinning and my quaint little house became home again and I started appreciating what I have.

I started pinning again recently, but I've been careful to avoid the over the top house pins because the point of pinning (at least my pins) have been to hang on to ideas that I can actually use someday down the road. And as enticing as a thunderstorm room sounds, I doubt I'll be using that anytime soon.

What kind of things do you pin?