Wednesday, October 8, 2014

14 in '14- October Update

The 14 in '14 list is complete! I really enjoyed creating a list of books I wanted to make sure I read this year and following through with it. It's really satisfying!


I have to preface this post by saying that Walter Moers is one of my absolute favorite authors (aside from Christopher Moore). In fact, The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is one of my all time favorite books and the only book I've recommended to literally everyone who asks for books suggestions. 

With that being said, The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books fell flat. No, more like crashed and burned. Moers is a very descriptive writer, which is something I normally am not a fan of. I usually can stomach Moers descriptiveness because it's such a fantastical setting he has created. The problem with this book is that it's nothing but description. The first 150 pages or so, nothing happens, it's all just Moers describing Optimus Yarnspinner heading back to Bookholm (which I really wish existed!). Then pages 225-400 describe a play he is at and puppeteering. I'm not going to lie, I skimmed most of the book. 

Labyrinth is a sequel to The City of Dreaming Books, which was an amazing book. What I didn't know prior to reading this is that Labyrinth is also part one of a two part book series. We really could  have done without this book and he could have inserted most of what we actually needed from this book into the second one. I'm still going to read the second one when I come out, I just hope it's more "action packed" than this book was. I'm really sad that I didn't enjoy this book because I really think Walter Moers is an incredibly gifted writer. But I guess they can't all be winners!

Here is the full list (each link will take you to the post about that book):

1. Where'd you go Bernadette?
2. Sacre Bleu
3. Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me?
4. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
5. The Partly Cloudy Patriot
6. Assassination Vacation
7. The Alchemyst
8. The Graveyard Book
9. The Maze Runner
10. The Husband's Secret
11. Beauty Queens
12. The Dust of 100 Dogs
13. The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making
14. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books

I would love to hear about what you read this month!

I'm on Goodreads, if you'd lik
e to add me.


What are some books that you think I should read in 2015?