Monday, November 11, 2013

Book Lover

I borrowed today's post from Ashley at Uniqueness of Being. I love books and I could go on and on about a book if anyone cared to listen to me, which is why today's post was a must! 

What are you reading right now?

1984 by George Orwell for the teen book club I run. I'm also in the middle of a few excerpts of The Canterbury Tales for my lit class. 

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?

My entire bookcase that I have been neglecting since I started back to school. More specifically  The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers and Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore



What 5 books have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to? 

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Running with the Demon by Terry Brook (side story to this one. I think I'm fated to NEVER finish this book. I've started reading it about 8 times and then stop and pick it up a few years later and have to start over because it's been so long since I last read it and then the cycle begins all over again!)
The Stand by Stephen King...the size of this book terrifies me just about as much as anything Mr. King writes
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?

Glamour, Reader's Digest, The Handyman (for Dave)

What’s the worst book you’ve ever read?

The easy answer could be Twilight series...but I'll take the higher road here. The only book I could never finish in my life because I hated it so much was Helen of Troy by Margaret George. I know it's not supposed to follow the original myth to a "T" but this author took so many liberties with the story I almost threw the book across the room in a rage. I don't think it helps that I'm such a Greek myth fanatic.

What book seems really popular but you actually hated? 

I never read it but I did read a few pages...the Fifty Shades of Grey series. I'm sorry, and if that got you to pick up a book, that's great, but for me personally the few pages I read felt like a third grader with vast sexual knowledge and an incredibly dirty mind wrote the book. 

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone? 

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Blue Bear by Walter Moers. I loved this book so much I bought all of his other books and fell in love with them too. Go read it!



What are your 3 favorite poems? 

 "i carry your heart with me" by e.e. cummings
"Stop all the Clocks, cut off the Telephone" by W.H. Auden
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost

Here's "Stop all the Clocks..." from Four Weddings and a Funeral:


I love "He was my North, my South, my East, my West. My working week, my Sunday rest." If that doesn't describe someone who means something to you, I don't know what does.

Where do you usually get your books?

Book sales and then stores that sell books a bit cheaper like Target, Walmart and BJ's. Book sales make me feel like a little kid at Christmastime.

Where do you usually read your books?

Everywhere, but I would say more often than not in my car on my lunch break. 

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits? 

Yes, I shut my door and spent my entire summer reading books in my room. My mom used to yell at me to go outside and play or come out in the living room and spend time with the family. No thanks, I'll just read. I've always been an early riser so I would just grab my book and read for a few hours in the morning waiting for everyone else to wake up. I still do that now, just with my phone instead of my books, I need to get back into the habit of grabbing a book instead of my phone.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  I know I said it before here, but my fingers literally itched to pick the book back up when I was done I enjoyed it so much.

Have you ever “faked” reading a book? 

Most of the stuff I have to read in my Lit class. Beowulf? Sorry I wikipedia'd that.

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?

Not necessarily. I've picked up books because the cover intrigued me, but I always read the synopsis first before I buy and if it's one of those books that doesn't have it (like the back cover is all praise for the book and none of what it's about) I probably won't buy it unless I know in advance that I want it.

What was your favourite book when you were a child?

I had a few...
The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales
The Paperbag Princess
The Secret of NIMH
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

What book changed your life? 

I can't think of a book that comes to mind that has changed my life, per se. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore did pull me out of a reading slump I was in for a few years.

What is your favorite passage from a book?


"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else." 
— Neil Gaiman (The Ocean at the End of the Lane)


"Nobody's perfect. Well, there was this one guy, but we killed him...." 
 Christopher Moore (Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal)

"Where shadows dim with shadows mate,

in caverns deep and dark.
Where old books dream of bygone days,
when they were wood and bark..." 
— Walter Moers (The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4))

Who are your top five favorite authors? 

Walter Moers, Christopher Moore, J.K. Rowling, Jen Lancaster, Rick Riordan

That's what I got for this list! I would love to hear your responses to these questions!