Monday, December 23, 2013

14 in '14

Okay, so I know its not even past Christmas yet and I'm already talking about 2014, but since school ended I've been prepping my reading list. While I was in school, I completely neglected most personal reading, so I decided to compile a list of 14 books that I am going to read during 2014. 

This list is not inclusive, I'll still be reading books for the Teen Book Club, Bonnie's book club, and then any books that I decide to pick up along the way. These 14 are just the 14 that my fingers are currently itching to hold, my mind currently wanting to escape to. In no particular order (links take you to the Good Reads page about the book, so you can read the description there and, if you're set up with Good Reads, add any to your list that peak your interest):



Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

I added this to my amazon wish list when I read a rave review of it in People magazine. Dave bought it for me for my birthday and I keep reading how hilarious it is. I love books that make me laugh, so I hope this lives up to the reviews.



Sacre Bleu: A Comedy D'Art

Christopher Moore is one of my favorite authors (him and Walter Moers, who also appears on this list). This book came out almost two years ago and I went to a signing that Moore was having in my area. It was one of the best moments of my life. Sadly, this book has sat on my shelf since then. He's coming out with another book in April, and you can bet your a** I'll be buying that one up real quick too. 



Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
I really like Minday Kaling, I thought she was hilarious on "The Office". I also love books that are complied of several short, hilarious stories. Jen Lancaster and Chelsea Handler also have great books like this as well. I found a copy of this book at a book sale and grabbed it for a buck. I love book sales....



The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic

Another one I want to pick up after reading a good review in People. I love books with original premises like this one, and I'm really excited to see how Barker develops this story. 



The Partly Cloudy Patriot

I first heard about this book on Ashley's blog. Being a history major and a lover of random facts, I think this book will feed my intellectual side, while entertaining me as well. 



Assassination Vacation

Another one from Vowell (and another one I picked up from Ashley). I'm hoping Vowell is as funny and as interesting as her reviews state.



The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel)

This series has intrigued me ever since I began to volunteer at the library. I can't explain why but it just sounds so interesting.

The Graveyard Book

Sherrie is a huge Neil Gaiman fan. When I picked up the Ocean at the End of the Lane (great book by the way, check it out if you have not!), she told me I really needed to check this book out too. Then my teens in the book club also told me that I absolutely have to read it, so it's on the list!


The Maze Runner

I prefer Young Adult Fiction to any other genre of books. I absolutely loved The Hunger Games and was told this was a great story that was similar in fashion. We shall see!


The Husband's Secret

I first heard about this book on Bonnie's blog when she annouced the 2014 books for her online book club. When I went to go place a hold on a copy at my library, I noticed there are already 117 holds ahead of me...pretty sure I'm not going to check out the book from the library by the end of January, so any gift cards I get from a store that sells this book will most likely go towards purchasing this. 117 patient people can't be wrong, right?

Beauty Queens

The reviews on this one are mixed, but I like the premise of the story. Beauty Queens stranded on a deserted island? Let's see where Bray takes this....


Another one with mixed reviews but with a really neat premise. I like stories with original plots, so I really want to see how this one turns out. 



Well, if the title didn't catch my attention, the reviews did. Reviewers seem to love this book and I'm loving the idea of it. Hopefully, it'll transport me to another world....



I was so excited when this book came out a year ago. I absolutely adore Walter Moer's novels. Leading up to Christmas, I would make Dave drive me to the book store so I could see it on the shelf and smell it's pages. Yes, someone out there is currently holding a book that I sniffed like crazy. Sorry. 

Okay, not really. It smelled freaking awesome. 

Anyway, having this book in my house for a whole year without me picking it up has driven me bonkers. I love the escape that Zamonia creates and I can't wait to go back there again. 

What's on your reading list for 2014?

                                            Facebook Bloglovin Instagram Pinterest Image Map