Wednesday, February 19, 2014

See the Forest for the Trees

We all have those days where we just feel off. We have "nothing to wear" or our hair just isn't doing what we hoped it would, or we just feel lazy and don't feel like doing anything and it throws us off. Ironically enough, I'm having one of those "I have nothing to wear AND my hair looks like crap" days today. 

It's been about three or four months since I've gone off of birth control and as with any medicine, there have been side effects of me going off the pill. Like my chest and jaw line thinking it's 17 again and breaking out terribly. It's awesome. Or gaining an additional five pounds on top of the 15 I'm already trying to lose (aren't most of us?). Among other terrific things....

Needless to say, that lately, more often than not I'm bummed out from all this. When I have these moments, I make it a point to do things to make myself feel better, which I thought I'd share with you today.* 

1. I take a few extra minutes to do more with my makeup.

Most mornings I do the basics, mineral makeup to cover up my face, a quick swipe of blush, and mascara. On the days that I just feel bleh I take the time to do more, wear eye shadow, contour my face with bronzer and highlighter. Just adding one or two more steps to my makeup routine makes me feel so much better. The rest of the day when I look in the mirror I automatically feel better about taking the extra time to enhance my features. 

2. I spend quiet time with Nibbler and Squishee or Dave (or all three!)

Sometimes I need to be reminded that the beauty in the world shouldn't be focused on one person, but on the little things. Like the unconditional love my little family has for each other, or the loyalty that Nibbler has to me. No TV, no music, no phone, no distractions, just me an the boys all laying together listening to them breathe, reminds me that all those things that bother me don't really matter at all.




3. I make it a point to do something I really like. 

One of my favorite things to do is to grab a book and go have a meal at a restaurant somewhere. I don't mind sitting there alone, reading and servers seem to be a little nicer and more attentive when you're alone. When I sigh a sweet little sigh, then I know I've reach  my happy place. 

4. I talk to friends about how I feel. 

My one friend Sheena is really awesome at centering me again. Sometimes she doesn't even have to respond to my complaints, just saying them out loud to  her makes me realize how silly I'm feeling. 



The point I'm making here (mainly to remind myself the next time I feel this way) is that my looks are just one little aspect of my life. And quite frankly, it really doesn't matter. It's just one little tree, in a really big forest. 

So share with me, what brings you back to reality when you're feeling low?

*It's really funny, I wrote this post Monday night when I was in a good mood, and I'm reading over it today (Wednesday) and I'm glad I wrote this, because it's bringing me back out of this slump I woke up in this morning.