Wednesday, May 28, 2014

14 in '14 May Update

I have a confession to make. I've been slacking on reading in general let alone the 14 in '14 list. Luckily, I'm a bit ahead of the game, so I've got time to make up what I've been lacking. This month I only read one book off the list...which is one book better than I did last month. 


The Alchemyst

Synopsis from Goodreads: 
He holds the secret that can end the world.
The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.
The records show that he died in 1418.
But his tomb is empty.
The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.
Sometimes legends are true.
And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.
This was a good book, it wasn't the best, but it wasn't terrible. It reminded me a lot of Rick Riordan's books, although I think Riordan does a better job of modernizing mythical legends. It was a quick read and I had no major issues with it. If you enjoyed Riordan's books, this series is a great secondary series to check out while you wait for new books to come out. 

I recieved the entire series as a Christmas gift from my mom, so I plan on reading the remaining five books over the next few months, hopefully it'll exceed expectations. If so, I'll let you know!

Here is the list so far:

1. Where'd you go Bernadette?
2. Sacre Bleu
3. Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me?
4. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
5. The Partly Cloudy Patriot
6. Assassination Vacation
7. The Alchemyst
8. The Graveyard Book
9. The Maze Runner
10. The Husband's Secret
11. Beauty Queens
12. The Dust of 100 Dogs
13. The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making
14. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books


I've got five books left on the list to finish by the end of the year. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books and The Thinking Womans' Guide to Real Magic are longer reads, but I do go on vacation next month, so hopefully one of those will get knocked out while I'm sitting on the beach. 

What are some books you read this month? Did you like them?

I'm on Goodreads, if you'd like to add me.