Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Wait, What?

Have you ever listened to a song and either completely gotten the lyrics wrong or missed the whole point of the song itself? I do it all the time, and I figured I would give you the top songs that I've totally missed the mark on. 

Starting off easy....Blinded by the Light from Manfred Mann (sidebar: what kind of name is that?!?)



No matter how many times I hear this song I swear to God he's saying "Blinded by the light, woke up like a douche on a summer night". I'm pretty sure that's a common misconception, but if not you're welcome.

Seriously though, why didn't anyone step back during the recording of this song and say hey Manfred Mann, something doesn't sound right here...besides your name. 

It's "wrapped up like a noose, another rumor in the night" by the way.

Next up, Loser by Beck


For years, YEARS, I swore Beck was singing "Sore from head to toe, I'm a loser baby...". It didn't make much sense but hey, in the time of chimpanzee's he was a monkey so I figured he was sore. 

I have to thank VH1 for clearing up this mistake for me. I think it was 100 songs of the 90s or something like that, they explained he's really saying "Soy un perdedor" which is "I'm a loser" in Spanish. 

Word's still out on whether or not he was sore from his head to toes. 

Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind



This is one of those songs that I NEVER listened to the lyrics, it was just a catchy song. Then a friend of mine pointed out it was all about doing coke and crystal meth. It was like one of those moments where you realized something in your childhood wasn't what it seemed. 


And my favorite of them all Hook by Blues Traveler



Have you ever listened to the lyrics of this song? Probably not. For the longest time I thought he sang “because the heart brings you back”. Then one day I decided to look up the lyrics because I could never understand the part where he goes “Rin-tin-tin, rambling”, and then I realized that “Hook” was mocking itself and other pop songs. It’s hilarious and ironic, John Popper starts the song off with “it doesn’t matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection” and then spends the rest of the song doing just that. Right under all of our noses, with most of us being none the wiser.

It made me love this song even more. Seriously go look up the lyrics and then listen to the song, and tell me the hook didn't bring you back. Too far? Sorry...had to.

What are some songs that you didn't quite catch the words or meaning to?