Wednesday, September 10, 2014

14 in '14 September Update

After this month, I only have one book left on the '14 in 14 list. I'll be honest I didn't think I'd have this list completed as much as I have, so it's nice to have this three month cushion to get through the final book, especially with school starting. 

I loved creating this list and following through with it. I'm not sure these posts are very popular but I enjoyed it so much, it's something I'll definitely be doing again next year. 

Anyway, on to the book for this month:



I'm really on the fence about this book. It's among the currently popular dystopian, young adult, teens-in-peril books, but it's unique that you don't feel like you're reading a Hunger Games knock off. 

The problem I had with this book was the fact that it was so hung up on being mysterious and vague that it got annoying. Most of the book consisted of "you want to know what's going on? Sorry! Can't tell you!" It wasn't until the final 75 pages of the 374 page book that the author finally let the readers in on what was going on. Then when I finally got to the answers, it's so convoluted and confusing that I had to re-read it a few times to really grasp what was going on. 

The good points: the story line was different enough that I couldn't just assume I knew what was going to happen and that made me want to read it more. Most of the characters were pretty likable, and I didn't find myself really being annoyed by any of the "good" ones. 

Let's not talk about the ending, mkay?

Here is the list so far:

1. Where'd you go Bernadette?
2. Sacre Bleu
3. Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me?
4. The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
5. The Partly Cloudy Patriot
6. Assassination Vacation
7. The Alchemyst
8. The Graveyard Book
9. The Maze Runner
10. The Husband's Secret
11. Beauty Queens
12. The Dust of 100 Dogs
13. The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making
14. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books

I would love to hear about what you read this month!

I'm on Goodreads, if you'd lik
e to add me.