Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Chicken and Rice Bake


I recently made this recipe for my friend who just had her baby. When I was walking around the store, I tried to access the original pin and it looks like the site is gone. Luckily, I've made this delicious meal enough times to know what I needed. I searched high and low for a similar recipe, and I couldn't find one so I figured I would share it here with you guys! 


Here's what you need:

- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped up
- 1 small onion, chopped (note the onion in the pic is big because I made two batches (Dave was very clear that I couldn't make just one batch for my friend and leave him out))
- 1 stick butter/margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups rice, cooked (whatever you like is fine, I prefer brown)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- breadcrumbs
- half a bag of peas/carrots mix

What you need to do:

1. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot, then add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. 

2. Once the onion is cooked, add the soups, milk and peas/carrots.

3. Add cooked chicken and cheese, followed by the cooked rice. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to your liking.

4. Place the mixture in a 13x9 baking dish, top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. 

5. Enjoy!

A few helpful notes:

1. If you don't want to buy rotisserie chicken (I hate carving those things), you can always boil the chicken. To do this, you place the breasts in a pot and cover them up with water, just enough to cover the top. Bring water to a boil, then cover it up and drop the temperature down to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. 

2. The original recipe called for regular carrots and frozen peas. If you decide to go that route (versus the frozen pea/carrot mix), add the carrots to the onions to ensure they are cooked through. 

3. I've made this with plain breadcrumbs and Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, both are delicious.