Wednesday, January 14, 2015

15 in '15- January Update

I may know how to read, but apparently I don't know how to count. I didn't realize until I started to write this post that I chose 16 books for 2015. No worries, I always like bonus rounds. 

The gist of 16 in '15 is simple. I'm going to read a lot more than 16 books in 2015 but I'd like to make it a point to read these books in particular. 

Pride and Prejudice

I've only ever said twice in my life that a movie was better than it's book. Both times I uttered this phrase was during the past month. This was one of those books. It's not that P&P was a bad book, it's just not what I enjoy reading. I understand that this book is a classic and I can see why but I just could not enjoy it. I attempted to read it and couldn't so I borrowed the audio book from the library and even that I couldn't finish so I watched the movie. I enjoyed watching the movie but I just could not with this book. Sorry guys!


Big Fish

The second time I uttered that phrase was during this book. I think I have to confess that Big Fish happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time. The book wasn't bad at all and I would still recommend it to others, its just that the movie and it's characters resonated more with me than the book did. The book seemed a bit scattered and I don't think that it had the same magic to it that the movie did. It's a short book and a quick read, maybe if I hadn't seen the movie first I would have enjoyed it more. 

Paddle Your Own Canoe

I think Chelsea Handler's books ruined me for all celebrity memoirs because they always fall short of my expectations. Nick Offermans' book is broken down into two parts in each chapter. The first part is the memoir and the second is lessons/advice. Honestly, I skipped over the second part of each chapter, it was too long winded and didn't interest me. It was really sweet hearing him talk about how he met his wife Megan Mullally, but the book wasn't as funny as I'd hope it would be.



Gillian Flynn has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I loved Gone Girl and Sharp Objects was no different. I was hooked on this book and finished it in two days. Flynn writes very dark novels so as much as I want to pick up Dark Places, I'm pacing myself for now for two reasons: 1. to break up the darkness with some humor/lightheartedness 2. because once I'm done her third book I'll have nothing to look forward to from her. This was definitely my favorite read from this month. 

Here's the complete list (links in this post will take you to the book, future posts will link to the post that I wrote about the book):

1. Sharp Objects
2. TV Gods
3. A Discovery of Witches
4. The Thousand Dollar Tan Line
5. The Serpent of Venice
6. I Don't Know What You Know Me From
7. Big Fish
8. Orange is the New Black
9. American Gods
10. Dead Until Dark
11. The Great Gatsby
12. The Glass Castle
13. Pride and Prejudice
14. Insurgent
15. The Clan of the Cave Bear
16. Paddle Your Own Canoe