Monday, September 30, 2013

Blogtember: Something Old

Share a photo of something old. Maybe something that has personal history for you, that was passed down to you, and that has special meaning to you. Tell us about it and why it's special.
...................................................................................................
A few months ago I lost one of my grandmothers. It was a tough one (when aren't they, right?) because it was completely unexpected. It was my ex-step dad's mother and even though we weren't "blood" relatives, we still treated each other like family. She always made it clear that I would be her granddaughter no matter what. 

The "something old" I decided to share today was a picture of her and her first husband that she gave to me when I was sixteen. 


The really odd thing is that for the past twelve years it has sat on my bookshelf, something I was aware of but never stopped to really notice. That is, until the Wednesday before her passing. I was driving home one day and thought of the picture and questioned whether or not it truly belonged to me, if I was something I was supposed to hang on to or not. So I called my mom and explained all this to her. My mom said that Grandmom Maxine gave it to me and that she always considered me one of her own so it was exactly where it should be. 

That Sunday she was gone. 

This tiny little picture frame has suddenly become so much more to me. It holds the memories and the life of a woman that I cared so much about. It's no longer a little trinket on my bookshelf, its my reminder that I was blessed to be a part of such an amazing woman's life, someone I'll never forget. 

I'll never forget her smile, the way she said "oh Pickle" when I said something she found amusing, her laugh, her mistakes, her perfections....her. When I pass by the picture I stop every time.

It's my little connection to her. 


Follow: BLOGLOVIN ::  FACEBOOK