Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Obstacles

Sunday, I went ziplining with Dave and a few friends, Lauren, Sheena, and Kelly. Of course it was amazing. 


L to R: Sheena, me, Lauren
The excursion started out with us climbing up some steps to our first platform where we zipped over to the "obstacle challenge". You had three choices, go straight across the sky bridge, or go left or right to more challenging obstacles to reach the next platform that you could zip from.

I should probably preface all this by saying I'm afraid of heights and I'm prone to anxiety attacks very easily. I also don't think stuff through all the way or I'll psych myself out. I'm trying to live a little more, so not thinking is better than going through all the terrible things that could happen. Just trying to let go, ya know what I mean?

Anyway, I chose the left choice, right behind Sheena and Dave. I figured these guys could do it so can I, right? Ummmm, sure. Kelly went down the skybridge, because she is smart, and Lauren went the to the right hand side of the course, which was the tougher one. If there is one thing I learned about Lauren on Sunday, it's that she is fearless and willing to try anything once. I find that incredibly admirable. 


Lauren starting the right side of the course
The left choice consisted of jumping off the first platform 7 feet over to the next one, or you could hitch a ride on a skateboard type thingy. Next was walking across a rope, then a rolling log, then some more ropes, all culminating with the "Tarzan" swing, which consisted of a thin wire and dangling ropes. Oh and did I mention this was all about 42 feet from the ground? 


The view from the "other" side. To the right is the "Tarzan" swings.
As soon as I hit the first set of ropes, I made the mistake of looking down. Then I panicked and started hyperventilating. I looked at Dave with fear in my eyes, realizing this was like the beginning of Cliffhanger, except I didn't have Sylvester Stallone there to cry out in agony as I dropped to my death. 

Too dramatic? You try being chill 42 feet above ground. 


Yeah. 
What the heck was I thinking? I HATE heights. I'm a WUSS. Why am I not prancing across the sky bridge? Well it was a little late now. So I closed my eyes and moved and got close enough to Dave's hand that I grabbed it and moved on to the next platform. I was shaking so bad, I was making Dave shake. And this is what I did for every single section. Closed my eyes and hyperventilated so bad I thought my lungs were going to explode, Dave telling me to open my eyes and me refusing to do anything except move, pray, breathe, move, pray, wonder what screw was loose in my head, pray, breathe. Until, that is, the very last platform. 

The Tarzan swings.


Sheena doing what I should have done in the first place

Dave on the rolling log, you can see the rope walk up ahead. 


I almost did a few splits going across these stupid things. 
The idea of falling terrified me. Don't get me wrong we were obviously attached so it wasn't like I was going to go far but I knew if I fell, I would be down for the count. So I yelled out, "I can't do it." Everyone was hanging out on the last platform, waiting for me and here I am yelling, "It's not happening, I can't do it! I can not physically do it!" 

To which my guide responded, very concerned, mind you, "you physically can't, Nicole?"

"Okay, I may be acting a bit over dramatic right now, I could probably physically do it, but emotionally I cannot. I cannot emotionally do this."

"Well you have no choice, so you have to"

"No I don't"

"Yes you do"

**in the smallest voice I could muster** "Will you come hold my hand please?"

**Sigh** "yes I will come hold your hand"

So Rod, the guide, came across and then helped me to the last platform. Needless to say my nerves were shot and it cemented my status of group wuss, but I'm okay with that. I completed it, even if it wasn't valiantly. Besides, I was ready to do what I came for, which was ziplining. 

Tomorrow I'll recap the zip part of the tour, along with some videos! 


Follow: BLOGLOVIN ::  FACEBOOK