Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blogtember: Better Late than Never

Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.
.....................................................

I was once in an incredibly abusive relationship. My ex was abusive to me both physically and verbally. The day that I left him for good is the day that my life took a distinctive turn, and it was all thanks to Dave. 

Dave and I have been friends since high school and we both had mini crushes on each other in school but never acted upon them because I had a boyfriend, the ex that I mentioned before. When we graduated, Dave and I kept in touch. Not a whole lot but when we ran into each other we always made it a point to catch up. During this time I was on and off with my ex. I don't know why I kept going back, and I don't think I'll ever truly understand why, but I did. If I had to speculate I think it was because he had me convinced that no one would ever love me and I feared being alone more than anything else. 

Dave's senior picture...He made it so easy to crush on :)
About a month after I turned 21, Dave offered to take me out for my birthday. I'm not a super social person, I never had a big 21 bash. When he offered to take me to a bar, which was something I had not done before, I took him up on it. We hung out and chatted up the whole night. A few beers and shots in, I confessed that I was miserable but that I couldn't leave my ex because then I'd be all alone (I know guys it's a crappy reason to stay).

Dave is a very reserved guy, he isn't overly emotional or expressive. But when I blurted out my miseries, he slammed his glass down and said "That's not true, you're a huge catch, anyone would want you, and I have a confession to make: I've always liked you. I liked you in high school and I like you now." I sniffled "Really?" and then my whole world changed. The next day I packed up the few items my ex had in my place at the time (we had separate apartments) and kicked him out. 

I was terrified, but I figured that anything could be better than what I was dealing with. Dave ended up being the close-to-perfect-as-perfect-gets man. He was everything I prayed to God for when I would cry myself to sleep at night. It was the best decision I ever made in my life. There will literally be no other decision I could possibly make in my life that will top that moment. 

And that's the moment that my life took a turn. What about you? When did you have a life changing moment?